Chicken Salad with Grapes and Apples is so colorful and healthy, loaded with fresh fruits and veggies! It's easy to make up a large batch using rotisserie chicken, and is a great lunch to meal prep for busy weeks!
Why We Love It!
- It's the Perfect Meal Prep! - Fruit and veggie Chicken Salad is one of my favorite meal prep lunches! I love making different variations, like my Curry Chicken Salad, to have prepped in the fridge for the week. It's good up to 4 days and can be eaten as a sandwich, deli wrap, or as a quick dip with crackers or pitas. I've even had luck with the kids liking it rolled up in a tortilla!
- The Flavor is Amazing! - There are millions of recipes for chicken salad, but this has always been my favorite! Apple, pecan chicken salad loaded with fresh herbs, lemon, grapes, onion, celery and the perfect mix of spices, it's simply delicious!
- It's Versatile and Easy to Substitute! - I love the combination of the juicy grapes and apples, but this recipe can easily be adapted. You can swap pears for the apples, or blueberries or craisins for the grapes for a whole new combination. The nuts can be any kind really, like chopped almonds, walnuts, cashews or pistachios. Use what you have or make it your own, you'll want to make this fruit and veggie chicken salad over and over!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Cooked Chicken - A rotisserie chicken is a great way to make this super fast and easy! It's easiest to remove and shred the meat from the bones when you get it home hot from the store, it's a bit more difficult after being refrigerated. Another great option is to cook Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breasts. Cooled leftover chicken the next day is so handy for this fruit and veggie chicken salad!
- Celery - Adds nutrition and a fresh crunch!
- Onion - Adds flavor and a bit of sharpness. Any onion like yellow, white, red or shallots will work great.
- Grapes - Grapes add so much fresh flavor and juiciness! You could also substitute fresh blueberries or a big handful of dried cranberries or golden raisins.
- Apples - The apples are so delicious in this recipe! They add a juicy, bright tart flavor, extra nutrition and when mixed in with the lemon and mayo, they stay fresh and won't brown.
- Chives - Fresh herbs make this chicken salad taste fresh so use them if you can! Chives, basil, parsley, scallions or even spinach are all ok to use, although each will give you a slightly different result.
- Pecans or Almonds - Nuts add protein and a crunchy texture to the chicken salad. Other nuts can be substituted like walnuts, cashews or pistachios.
- Lemon Juice - Fresh lemon juice brings so much flavor, but also helps preserve the chicken salad. Use all the juice from half a lemon and make sure to discard the seeds!
- Nutmeg - Adds a subtle layer of underlying spice, super delicious.
- Cayenne Pepper - Adds a little kick while hardly being noticeable!
- Salt & Pepper - Flavors your chicken salad, but adjust the seasoning based on how salty your chicken is. Rotisserie chicken can be very salty, so you may want to start with a bit less and adjust as you taste.
- Dijon Mustard - Adds a pop of flavor.
- Mayonnaise - Mayo is the base of the salad and the amount can really be a personal preference. Start with a little and add more until you reach the consistency you like!
Step 1 - Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
Step 2 - Serve chicken salad on sandwiches, toast, buns, croissants, deli wraps, crackers or pitas.
How to Serve Chicken Salad
- Chicken Salad Wraps - Rolled up in large tortillas with lettuce or spinach, they make a perfect lunch!
- Chicken Salad Croissants - Being able to make this recipe ahead means it is also great for entertaining. My mom and I have hosted many an afternoon baby shower with fancied up chicken salad on croissants, a beautiful plate of fruit, a salad, and an appetizer.
- Chicken Salad Melts - This fruit and veggie chicken salad can be served warm with melted cheese just like a tuna melt. Just pile it on a slice of bread with a slice of cheese and bake on a sheet pan in the oven at 400° until heated through and melty. Makes a great dinner too!
- Chicken Salad Dip - For the easiest lunch, just pull out your meal prepped pecan apple chicken salad and scoop it onto crackers or tortilla chips. Serve with veggies and hummus, it's a complete meal!
- Make Ahead Instructions - Chicken salad can be made and stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Is this Chicken Salad Gluten Free? Yes! This is a naturally gluten-free chicken salad, no need to change a thing! It's a healthy option, full of fruits and vegetables, and can be served with gluten free bread, pitas, crackers or corn tortilla chips.
More Favorite Recipes!
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear what you think! Hit the share buttons and leave a star rating and a comment below, or tag me in a pic @sungrown_kitchen!
Chicken Salad with Grapes and Apples
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie chicken works well)
- 3 ribs celery about 1 cup, chopped
- ½ onion, yellow or red about ½ cup, chopped
- 1 cup red grapes halved
- ½ apple about ½ cup, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon chives chopped
- ½ cup pecans or almonds chopped or sliced
- ½ juice of a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 grinds freshly ground black pepper freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ cup mayonnaise or more to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Serve on sandwiches, toast, buns, croissants, deli wraps, crackers or pitas.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.