Spring is finally here and asparagus is back in season. This dinner is so fast and easy by the time your pasta cooks, its ready. I’m always happy when my husband likes dinner, but when my toddler likes it too and doesn’t pick anything out, I feel great!
Recipe: Asparagus Penne with Almonds and Browned Butter
- 1 lb Penne Rigante (small penne)
- 2-3 T butter
- 1/2 c whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed, spears cut in thirds on a bias
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (optional)
- Parmesan cheese
- Bring water to a boil, salt and add pasta, cook following package instructions (mine was 7 minutes, asparagus will be added at 3 minutes remaining, see below)
- In the time it takes to cook the pasta, make the sauce; heat a large skillet over medium low heat and melt butter
- When butter starts to bubble and slightly brown (but not burn) add almonds and garlic and toss. Season with salt and pepper and continue to stir butter mixture so it does not burn. Add rosemary
- When about 3 minutes remain for the pasta, add the asparagus to the water and let them finish cooking together (could also be done in a separate pot of boiling salted water).
- Drain pasta and asparagus and add to the butter mixture, reserving a 1/4 cup or so of the pasta water to add to the sauce if needed. Combine mixture, adding as much grated Parmesan as you like.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Microformatting by hRecipe.