Spring is finally here and asparagus is back in season. This dinner is so fast and easy by the time your pasta cooks, it’s ready. I’m always happy when my husband likes dinner, but when my toddler likes it too and doesn’t pick anything out, I feel great!
Asparagus Penne with Almonds and Browned Butter
- 1 lb Penne Rigante (small penne)
- 3 T butter
- ½ c whole raw almonds roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ t kosher salt
- 8 grinds fresh black pepper
- 1 lb asparagus ends trimmed, spears cut in thirds on a bias
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (optional, fresh sage, or thyme could substitute)
- ½ c Parmesan cheese grated (plus more for topping)
- Bring water to a boil, add a pinch of salt and add pasta, cook following package instructions (mine was 7 minutes). Add asparagus for the last 3 minutes of the pasta cooking and let them finish cooking together. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water before draining (dipping in a coffee mug works great!).
- Meanwhile, in the time it takes to cook the pasta, make the sauce. Heat a large skillet over medium low heat and melt butter. When butter starts to bubble and slightly brown (but not burn) add almonds and garlic and toss.
- Season with salt and pepper and continue to stir butter mixture so it does not burn. Add rosemary
- Drain pasta and asparagus and add to the butter mixture. Add in the reserved pasta water a 1/4 cup at a time to the sauce if needed. Mix well, adding grated Parmesan as you go.
- Served topped with extra Parmesan, and continue adding the reserved pasta water if the pasta gets dry.