Stovetop Mac & Cheese is an easy kid lunch favorite, so ditch the blue box and orange mystery powder for this homemade version! Made with real ingredients and ready in just 8 minutes!
Real Ingredients – Ditch the Blue Box!
I’ve never understood the little blue box of Mac & Cheese with the mystery orange powder. In just 8 minutes, this simple recipe will make you never want to buy the blue box again. It’s just as fast and easy to make this kid lunch staple with a handful of real cheese and a scoop of plain yogurt. You can even add a veggie, like frozen peas or chopped broccoli, if your kids are willing. So ditch the blue box and orange powder for a homemade kid’s lunch that’s easier than you think! Check out all our favorite Kid-Friendly Lunches HERE!
It really is just as easy as tearing open a packet of orange powder!
- Boil the pasta (follow the time on the box), try Macaroni, Rotini, or Bowtie.
- Add an optional veggie to the boiling water in the last 3 minutes of cooking (like frozen peas, corn or diced broccoli).
- Drain and stir in a spoonful of whole milk PLAIN yogurt and a handful of shredded cheese.
Why Plain Yogurt?
I like Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Plain Yogurt. Why plain yogurt? It is so much more versatile and healthier than flavored yogurt. Buying plain yogurt and flavoring it yourself is much better for you and for kids than the added-sugar pink flavors. For breakfast, add a little honey and top it with your own berries and Granola. Read the label on your strawberry flavored yogurt, does it even contain strawberries? Then how is it pink?
Plain yogurt is also a great substitute for sour cream. We add a scoop to top Loaded Baked Potatoes, Chili, Tacos, and Oatmeal. It’s also an ingredient in Waffles and Protein Pancakes and makes Hummus extra creamy. I’m a believer that whole milk dairy is better than low-fat or fat-free. It is less processed, more natural, and when they take the fat out of products they usually add sugar or something worse to make up for the loss in taste. Give it a try and see if it doesn’t become a staple ingredient in your kitchen!
More Kid Friendly Favorites!
- Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Kids!
- Healthy Lunch Ideas for Kids!
- Kid’s Snack Packs To Go
- Homemade Popsicles
- Family Pizza Night
- Healthy Zucchini Cookies
Easy Mac & Cheese for Kids, in 8 Minutes!
- 1/2 box pasta macaroni, rotini, or bowtie
- 1/4 c frozen peas, corn or chopped broccoli optional
- 3 T whole milk plain yogurt
- 1 c shredded Cheddar cheese or any kind
- Cook pasta according to directions on box (add a pinch of salt to the boiling water). Add frozen or fresh veggies in last 3 minutes of boiling.
- Drain and stir in yogurt and shredded cheese, amounts don't need to be exact.
- Extras can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.