Breakfast at our house rotates between a few main staples, lots of eggs, Yogurt with Granola often paired with peanut butter toast, oatmeal with lots of toppings, pancakes and french toast. Some of my favorite kid friendly breakfast tricks are here:
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal – Before you go to bed, put 1 cup of Steel Cut Oats and 6 cups of water in a crockpot on LOW. Ready in the morning!!, we top ours with berries, a scoop of plain yogurt, apple sauce, granola, raisins, or nuts. Store leftovers in the fridge and microwave with a little milk. Also try my Homemade Instant Oatmeal
- Use your Freezer – Cooked sausage or bacon freezes well! So if you are making it on the weekend, make the whole package and freeze your leftovers. Chopped frozen bacon is great to throw in eggs during the week or even use it for dinner in a pasta or risotto or on Loaded Baked Potatoes. Some days if we are just having yogurt and toast, a growing kid could use an extra link of sausage (microwave it).
- Add a Smoothie to any breakfast – Check out how to never waste extra fruit with a Smoothie Bucket in your freezer. Make sure they get a good helping of fruit and a few veggies to start their day, a fun cup with a straw goes a long way!
- Pancakes with Staying Power! – We love pancakes and french toast, but adding some protein makes them last you until lunch. Check out the recipe below and notice that the 1/4 measuring cup for everything makes the batter super fast to throw together.
Hearty Protein Pancakes
- 3/4 c flour can sub some almond flour, try 1/4c almond flour, 1/2c flour
- 3/4 c rolled oats
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- pinch salt
- 3/4 c plain yogurt
- 3/4 c orange juice
- 3 eggs
- 2 T melted butter
- 2 T melted coconut oil
- blueberries and maple syrup
- In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix, then add all the wet ingredients and mix again (no need to dirty two bowls) (a 1/4 c measuring cup can be used for the entire recipe to make it fast)
- Cook on a hot griddle and add blueberries in you want. Store extras in the fridge and microwave the next day.