Crockpot Steel Cut Oatmeal is ready when you wake up! Just 2 ingredients (and 1 of them is water!), throw it in the crockpot before you go to bed, it slow cooks overnight, making breakfast easy and healthy! Just add your favorite toppings, berries, a sprinkle of brown sugar, a scoop of yogurt or apple sauce and homemade granola!
Why We Love It!
- It’s a weekday morning staple! – Once or twice a week, especially when I know it’s going to be a hectic morning, I make overnight oatmeal, protein-rich, hearty, healthy and family friendly! Creamy and delicious and ready when you wake up, this is by far my easiest breakfast ever! It is a great change-up in our weekly rotation of eggs, pancakes, french toast, muffins, yogurt, and cereal.
- It’s really EASY! – Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal is only 2 ingredients and takes under a minute to make! Before you go to bed, put 1 cup of Steel Cut Oats and 6 cups of water in a crockpot on LOW. Ready in the morning!!
- It’s that simple! You don’t really even need to stir it. In the morning it will be creamy and delicious, give it a good stir, and it’s ready for toppings! Make sure you are using steel cut oats and not rolled oats or quick oats. If that’s all you have on hand, try my Homemade Instant Oatmeal.
Ingredients & Topping Ideas
- Steel Cut Oats – I like to buy organic steel cut oats from the bulk bin at the grocery store. This overnight oatmeal is high in protein for a healthy filling breakfast!
- Water – Use 6 cups of water to 1 cup of oats for the perfect thick and creamy ratio.
- Toppings – A crockpot full of oatmeal is an unflavored blank canvas. I like to set our favorite toppings out and let everyone make their own. The kids can pick what they like and it’s perfect if your family members aren’t all eating at the same time. We top ours with fresh or frozen berries, a scoop of plain yogurt, a scoop of apple sauce, granola, raisins, or nuts. If you like it sweeter, add a sprinkle of brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon, or a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. Homemade granola gives it extra sweetness too. Frozen berries work great, they melt right in, and other fruits like chopped kiwi, peaches or pomegranate seeds make colorful variations.
Step 1 – Add 1 cup of steel cut oats and 6 cups of water to a 3qt slow cooker, before going to bed. Cook on LOW until morning, about 8 hours.
Step 2 – Add your favorite oatmeal toppings!
Storage & Leftover Oatmeal
This overnight crockpot oatmeal recipe makes about 4 servings. For our family that means, mom and dad, two little kids who eat more toppings than oatmeal, and some leftover. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave with a splash of milk to loosen it up. The leftovers usually feed one or both adults the next day. You can adjust the quantities for your family size.
Slow Cooker Apple Oatmeal – This basic crockpot oatmeal recipe can be flavored as it cooks too! Try adding 1 chopped apple and a teaspoon of cinnamon when starting your overnight oatmeal, protein-rich and an extra serving of fruit, it’s the perfect healthy breakfast! All our breakfasts, including oatmeal go great with a Smoothie!
More Breakfast Favorites!
Crockpot Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 6 cups water
- Add steel cut oats and water to a 3qt crockpot on LOW before you go to bed. Ready in the morning (cooks about 8-10 hours).
- Add your favorite oatmeal toppings – berries, brown sugar, a scoop of yogurt or apple sauce, granola, raisins, or nuts.
- Store leftovers in the fridge up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave with a little milk.