Gnocchi with Italian Sausage, like pasta, is a versatile blank canvas! Add peppers, tomato, and grilled sausages topped with crumbled goat cheese for a delicious creamy coating. It’s an easy weeknight meal you can change up to make again and again!
Easy Weeknight Gnocchi
Gnocchi with Italian Sausage is one of my favorite “use up” dinners! We are always grilling sausages or brats, so I often grill a couple extra for an easy dinner the following night. The gnocchi cooks up in just a few minutes, and like pasta, lends itself well to any add-ins. Throw in some veggies and slice up that extra sausage and it’s the perfect 20 minute dinner for busy weeknights.
Instructions & Substitutions
I love making this recipe with leftover protein. Extra grilled sausages work great, but so would leftover chicken or bacon. You could also start by sautéing a half pound or so of bulk ground Italian sausage. Boil your gnocchi following the package instructions, drain and reserve until you’re ready. Meanwhile, saute your veggies in a large pot or skillet, big enough to toss everything together with the gnocchi.
I like to start with onions and bell peppers and then add in the sliced sausage and cherry tomatoes. But, zucchini or broccoli would be great additions or substitutions. I like to add pine nuts and a half a can of white beans for extra protein and flavor, but these are optional. Once the veggies are cooked, you can add in your drained gnocchi and a handful of any herbs or greens such as basil, spinach, arugula, Swiss chard, or parsley. They cook instantly and add nutrition and a pop of color.
Top the whole mixture with crumbled goat cheese. Parmesan cheese would also work, but I like how the melted goat cheese coats the gnocchi like a sauce. Like pasta, gnocchi is a blank canvas, easily adaptable to add what you like! And because it cooks up so fast, it’s perfect for a quick and easy meal!
More Weeknight Favorites!
- Bacon Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
- Skillet Burgers
- Creamy Farfalle Pasta with Prosciutto & Peas
- Easy French Dip Sandwiches
- BLT’s with Cheese & Avocado
- Creamy Asparagus Soup
Gnocchi with Italian Sausage
- 16 oz package potato gnocchi
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ onion sliced
- 3 mini sweet peppers or ½ red bell pepper sliced
- 2 leftover cooked Italian Sausage links or brats, sliced (or cook separate, simmer in water and then grill or brown in olive oil)
- 1 c cherry tomatoes
- ½ to 1 c garbanzo or any white beans, rinsed (about half a can or so, doesn't need to be exact, other half can be frozen)
- 2 T pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- a handful of roughly chopped greens spinach or arugula (optional)
- 2 T parsley or basil chopped (optional)
- 3 T goat cheese
- Cook gnocchi following package instructions, drain and reserve.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add oil and saute onion and peppers until soft and beginning to brown, season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add sliced cooked sausage to brown, add tomatoes and beans.
- Add pine nuts, greens, and garlic to the skillet. Add drained gnocchi and toss everything together, letting it cook for another couple minutes.
- Top with crumbled goat cheese to melt and coat the gnocchi. Serve and enjoy!