Sunday Morning Crepes are one way to brighten up a winter morning! They might just become part of your regular weekend breakfast rotation. They sound tricky but really they’re not. The simpler batter is only 5 ingredients, and the technique only takes the right pan and a little practice. Halfway through the bowl of batter, I went to tend the baby, and when I came back my husband had finished a whole stack.
Sunday Morning Crepes take a few tries to get the hang of. You need to get the temperature adjusted just right, and ladle in the right amount of batter to get the thin texture you are going for. But the recipe makes a lot, so by the time you finish the bowl, you’ll have had plenty of practice and you may want to start making them every weekend!
You are looking for light brown streaks and swirls on the first side you cook, that is your presentation side. There are endless recipes for the batter, but this one I slightly adapted from the experts…Julie and Jacques, in their book Cooking at Home. I made it a tiny bit healthier by using a bit less butter and sugar and subbing some of the flour for almond flour, but they are not short on taste!
Be creative with your fillings! Our favorite is berries drizzled with honey or maple syrup. The Nutella and peanut butter with sliced banana was a close second. You can make up your own fillings and toppings with different combinations of berries, honey, jam, maple syrup, nuts, dried fruit, peaches, kiwi, pomegranate seeds, ricotta cheese, apple butter, chocolate chips, granola, whipped cream or any fruit and nut combos. Eat and change it up as you make them, the filling possibilities are endless!
Sunday Morning Crepes are perfect for any weekend or special occasion! Pair them with a plate of fruit, a smoothie or my cranberry baked oatmeal cups and they make the perfect menu for Christmas morning!
Sunday Morning Crepes
- 1 c flour (can substitute ¼ cup of the flour with almond flour for added nutrition)
- 1 T sugar
- pinch kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ c milk
- ¾ c water
- 3 T melted butter
- butter for brushing pan
- Filling ideas - berries, honey, jam, maple syrup, nuts, dried fruit, peaches, kiwi, pomegranate seeds, ricotta cheese, banana, peanut butter, Nutella, apple butter, chocolate chips, granola, whipped cream, powdered sugar
- In a bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the batter
- Over medium to medium low heat, brush a 7 inch non-stick omelet pan with a thin layer of butter
- Use a ¼ measuring cup or a 2oz ladle about half full to portion. Ladle the batter into the side of the pan and immediately tilt and rotate the pan to spread the batter in a thin layer. Shake the pan to evenly distribute the batter and cook for about 30 seconds until the edges are cooked and the bottom is lightly browned, this will be your presentation side
- Flip the crepe, use a spatula or your fingers and lightly brown the other side. Wipe the pan clean if needed and repeat, stacking the crepes as you go.
- Fill crepes with any different fillings or toppings and enjoy!