Italian Subs with Giardiniera have turned into our family’s favorite sandwich and a perfect weeknight dinner to pair with oven fries or grilled or roasted veggies. The homemade giardiniera gives these subs its classic Italian flavor with just a quick marinade in oil and vinegar. Even my kids love them, although you can make the kid’s portion as plain and simple as you like, leaving out or using less of what they don’t like. You can even store a loaf of ciabatta in the freezer for an easy dinner to have on hand without much planning. All those colorful veggies are so delicious, giardiniera means “gardener” in Italian.
Italian Subs with Giardiniera
- 1/2 carrot shredded about 1/4 cup
- 2 mini bell pepper or 1/4 of a pepper sliced, about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 red or any onion sliced, about 1/4 cup
- 2 leaves fresh basil optional or 1/2 t Italian seasoning
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- 5 grinds fresh black pepper
- 1 loaf Ciabatta bread sliced open in half
- 1 avocado sliced
- 5 slices prosciutto
- 1 tomato sliced
- lettuce any type or mix
- 3-4 slices white cheese white cheddar, provolone, havarti, swiss, muenster
- mayo optional
- In a small bowl, mix shredded carrot, peppers, onion, vinegar, oil, herbs, salt and pepper, let marinate while you prepare everything else, or a few hours in the fridge is even better.
- Grill bread (or bake in the oven at 400° for 8 minutes) and side veggies (optional)
- Assemble sandwich with avocado, prosciutto, giardiniera mix–including the vinegar oil dressing in the bowl–as much of it as you like, tomato, lettuce and cheese, mayo if you like.
- Slice into triangles
- Serve with grilled veggies or any side