Italian Subs with Giardiniera are sure to become a favorite weeknight dinner! Crusty ciabatta piled high with prosciutto, cheese, tomato, avocado, greens and super easy marinated veggies!
Italian Subs with Giardiniera have turned into our family’s favorite sandwich. They are a perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner, paired with oven fries or grilled or roasted veggies. The homemade giardiniera gives these subs its classic Italian flavor with just a quick marinade in oil and vinegar. Even my kids love them, although you can make the kid’s portion as plain and simple as you like, leaving out or using less of the veggies. You can even store a loaf of ciabatta in the freezer for an easy dinner to have on hand without much planning. All those colorful veggies are so delicious, giardiniera means “gardener” in Italian.
By nature, sandwiches for dinner is an easy weeknight meal! Start with the Giardiniera. This is simply a quick marinade! Add your veggies, carrot, peppers, and onions to a bowl with the vinegar, oil, and seasonings and let them sit on the counter while you prepare everything else. This is all the time it takes to give them that sharp pickled flavor, but can also be done ahead of time and kept in the fridge.
Grill or bake your bread in the oven, along with any side dishes you are serving. Then assemble your sandwiches with avocado, thinly sliced prosciutto, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and top it with the giardiniera, including the vinegar and oil. I try to buy my prosciutto from the deli counter instead of prepackaged. It’s an expensive ingredient, but you don’t need very much for a sandwich. You can also add or substitute salami or any Italian deli meats. Even basic turkey and ham can make a simple version of this sandwich! Add mayo if you like, but the vinegar and oil can be condiment enough. Using a bread knife, slice it into triangles and enjoy!
More Favorite Weeknight Dinners!
- Creamy Tomato Basil Fettuccine
- Easy French Dip Sandwiches
- Loaded Baked Potatoes
- Chopped Dinner Salad
- Bacon Kale Spaghetti
- Skillet Burgers
- Eggplant Paninis
- Roasted Veggie Flatbread Pizza
Italian Subs with Giardiniera
- 1/2 carrot shredded about 1/4 cup
- 2 mini bell pepper or 1/4 of a pepper sliced, about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 red or any onion sliced, about 1/4 cup
- 2 leaves fresh basil optional or 1/2 t Italian seasoning
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- 5 grinds fresh black pepper
- 1 loaf Ciabatta bread sliced open in half
- 1 avocado sliced
- 5 slices prosciutto
- 1 tomato sliced
- lettuce any type or mix
- 3-4 slices white cheese white cheddar, provolone, havarti, swiss, muenster
- mayo optional
- In a small bowl, mix shredded carrot, peppers, onion, vinegar, oil, herbs, salt and pepper, let marinate while you prepare everything else, or a few hours in the fridge is even better.
- Grill bread (or bake in the oven at 400° for 8 minutes) and side veggies (optional)
- Assemble sandwich with avocado, prosciutto, giardiniera mix–including the vinegar oil dressing in the bowl–as much of it as you like, tomato, lettuce and cheese, mayo if you like.
- Slice into triangles
- Serve with grilled veggies or any side