I’ve never understood the little blue box of Mac & Cheese with the mystery orange powder. In just 8 minutes, this simple recipe will make you never want to buy the blue box again. It’s just as fast and easy to make this kid lunch staple with a handful of real cheese and a scoop of plain yogurt. You can even add a veggie if your kids are willing. So ditch the blue box and orange powder for this kid’s lunch that’s easier than you think! Check out all our favorite Kid-Friendly Lunches HERE!
- Just boil the noodles (time on the box)–macaroni, rotini, bowtie, whatever they like–add frozen peas, corn or diced broccoli (optional) in the last minute or two of cooking, drain and add a handful of shredded cheese and a spoonful of whole milk PLAIN yogurt.
I like Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Plain Yogurt. Why plain yogurt? It is so much more versatile and healthier. Buying plain yogurt and flavoring it yourself is much better for you and kids than the added sugar pink flavors. For breakfast, add a little honey and top it with your own berries and granola. Read the label on your strawberry flavored yogurt, does it even contain strawberries? Plain yogurt is also a great substitute for sour cream, we eat it on Baked Potatoes, Chili, Tacos, Oatmeal and in Protein Pancakes. I’m also a believer that whole milk dairy is better than low fat or fat free. It is less processed, more natural, and when they take the fat out of products they usually add sugar to make up for the loss in taste.
Easy Mac & Cheese for Kids, in 8 Minutes!
- 1/2 box pasta macaroni, rotini, or bowtie
- 1/4 c frozen peas, corn or chopped broccoli optional
- 3 T whole milk plain yogurt
- 1 c shredded Cheddar cheese or any kind
- Cook pasta according to directions on box. Add frozen or fresh veggies in last 2 minutes of boiling
- Drain and add in yogurt and cheese, stir until combined
- Extras can be stored in the fridge, 2-3 days