Perfect Party Food
Every month I get together with some old girlfriends, everybody brings food and we just catch up. I always ask what they want me to bring, and every time it’s the same, “Bring your famous guacamole!” Easy for me, and I don’t know how famous it is, it’s rather unoriginal. But it is delicious, fresh, easy, healthy, and even the kids like it, (mostly for the chips).
Guacamole is so good because it is full of fresh ingredients. I see those packets of “guacamole starter” and I just don’t understand. It’s only 6 ingredients, simply seasoned with salt and pepper, so you don’t need a packet! You do need ripe avocados. You can tell they are ripe when their skin is black and they are soft when pressed. Just add onion, garlic, cilantro and lime juice, the tomato is really optional if you want to make it even easier. Add minced jalapeño or a few red pepper flakes if you want it to be spicy.
This game day favorite is really the easiest of appetizers. It’s everybody’s favorite, and it comes together in 15 minutes! Don’t just save it for parties! Guacamole makes a perfect healthy addition to any taco night, or use it to top chili, or loaded baked potatoes.
- 3 ripe avocados (skin should be black and soft when pressed)
- ¼ c tomatoes small dice
- ¼ c onion small dice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 T cilantro minced
- ½ juice of a lime minced (optional)
- ½ t kosher salt
- 4 grinds fresh black pepper
- Cut your avocados in half lengthwise around the pit and twist open, hit the pit with your knife (be careful), when the knife is stuck in the pit, twist to remove it and discard. Make a grid of cuts in the avocado flesh and scoop out with a spoon into a bowl, mix and smash with a fork. The avocado will mash more as you combine the ingredients but leave it as chunky as you like it.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well.
- Serve with tortilla chips or as a taco, baked potato, or chili topping.
Microformatting by hRecipe.