Grilled Steak Tacos are a delicious variation to taco night with peppers and onions! An affordable cut of steak is enough for a family of 2 to 4 when sliced thin and served with all your favorite toppings. Taco night is always a favorite easy weeknight dinner. Change up the protein for different tacos every time!
Taco night is always a family favorite! Everyone can top them how they like and they are pretty kid-friendly. I make tacos different every time. I switch up the protein by using different meats or no meat. Try different veggies, grilled, roasted or raw. Use different salsas or guacamole. Substitute different types of beans, mixed with corn or rice. Vary the carrier with hard shells, soft tortillas, flour or corn, taco salads, or sheet pan nachos. Our latest taco night was one of my favorites, grilled steak with peppers and onions. At our house, taco night is about once a week and nobody complains!
Instructions & Tips
Tacos are a great way to stretch your budget while having a steak night at home. One steak, an affordable cut like sirloin, is enough to feed 2 to 4 people when sliced with other toppings. You can cook it on an outdoor grill or in a cast iron skillet. With the grill going, I like to add peppers and onions and char soft tortillas, just wrap them in a clean kitchen towel when they are done to keep them soft. Grill steak about 4 to 5 minutes per side and let it rest 10 minutes before slicing thin. Add all your favorite taco toppings! Try cheese, cilantro, shredded lettuce or cabbage, my Easy 5 Minute Salsa, and Guacamole!
Grilled Steak Tacos with Peppers and Onions
- 1 lb steak like sirloin
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 t kosher salt
- 8 grinds black pepper
- 1 onion sliced in rings
- 6 mini sweet bell peppers or 1 whole pepper, quartered and seeds removed
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ t kosher salt
- 6 grinds black pepper
- corn tortillas, cilantro, guacamole for serving
- Prepare steak by coating in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, add sliced onions and whole mini bell peppers, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat outdoor grill on high or a cast iron skillet. Grill steak, about 4 to 5 minutes per side, and peppers and onions until lightly charred. Grill tortillas until just starting to char and wrap in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Allow steak to rest 10 minutes before thinly slicing. Slice peppers to be smaller.
- Assemble tacos and top with guacamole and extra cilantro. Add any favorite taco toppings!