Chicken Tortilla Soup starts with tons of veggies, made hardy with chicken, beans and rice and topped with cheese, avocado, yogurt, cilantro, and crispy tortilla strips. It’s the perfect one pot meal for fall or winter!
It’s Soup Season!
Soup season has arrived! Summer is over, but thank goodness for fall. Truly my favorite season, it is absolutely beautiful in Minnesota. The weather is my favorite, no need for the AC or the heat. The temp is just crisp, you can pull out your favorite fleece jacket, start thinking about apple orchards and pumpkins, and make a big pot of soup. I wish it could stay like this until Christmas!
One Pot Meal
I love homemade soup, just the huge pot itself is enough to love. It is a meal in itself! One pot, super healthy, loaded with veggies, chicken, beans, brown rice, topped with avocado, cheese, and plain yogurt. Yes, plain yogurt! It tastes just like sour cream on soup or chili, and better for you, give it a try! A big pot of soup feeds a crowd or gives you something to go to all week.
Back in college, the Student Union in Madison had the best chicken tortilla soup. My dear friend Erika and I would go get a bowl every single day for a stretch there. I have done my best to replicate it here, amping up the veggies as I often do. My kids would agree, the toppings–cheese, avocado, and crispy tortilla strips–are the best part!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- 2 c fresh tomato diced
- 1 ear corn, cut off the cob (or 1 cup frozen)
- 1 t kosher salt
- 8 grinds fresh black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ jalapeno minced (omit if you don't want it spicy)
- 2 t cumin
- 4 c chicken stock
- ½ c rice
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 2 c cooked chicken diced or shredded (I used rotisserie chicken)
- ¼ c fresh cilantro chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 lime to taste
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Toppings - cheddar cheese shredded or crumbled queso fresco, sliced avocado, more cilantro leaves, plain yogurt
- Chop all veggies and reserve.
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, add olive oil and saute onion, carrot, bell pepper, celery, tomato and corn. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook about 10 or 15 minutes until they are lightly browned and softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, jalapeno and cumin.
- Add stock, rice, beans, and chicken. Stir well to combine and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer soup about an hour, then add cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice to taste (can also be sliced in wedges for garnish).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°. Cut 8 corn tortillas into strips, toss on a baking sheet with ½t olive oil and a pinch of salt, cook about 15 minutes, tossing them once halfway through and watch them so they are golden but not burnt. You can also use store-bought tortilla chips if you want to skip this step.
- Serve the soup garnished with shredded cheese, slices of avocado, more cilantro leaves, a dollop of plain yogurt and your homemade tortilla strips.
- *Note--If the soup gets a little too thick, just add a bit of water.