BLT’s are a sandwich favorite, the best with fresh garden tomatoes! I always serve mine with the important extras – Cheese and Avocado!
Sandwiches Need Cheese
BLT’s with Cheese and Avocado are one of my favorite sandwiches and a great way to use garden tomatoes. Like my burgers, back home in Wisconsin, they always come with cheese. I was working at the Hilton Hotel years back and got an order for a BLT. I made it and sent it out. A few minutes later the server comes back to me and says “I didn’t order cheese on this.” So I say to him, “Um, you didn’t say no cheese.”
We go back and forth awhile until I realize “Toto, I don’t think we’re in Wisconsin anymore.” It never dawned on me not to put cheese on it! And that’s how you’ll get it if you’re eating at our house. Loaded with cheese, mayo, and avocado, just for a healthy creaminess. The garden is getting pretty colorful, and soon we’ll be eating tomatoes with everything, cucumbers too!
You may not really need a recipe for BLT’s, just pile bread with Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato! Avocado and Cheese make great additions, while cucumbers can be added for extra freshness and nutrition. The main step here is cooking the bacon. I always cook bacon on a sheet tray in the oven, 400° convection bake for about 20 minutes.
Lots of reasons or this! First, it’s less messy and more efficient than cooking it in a frying pan. You can fit the whole package of bacon on a large sheet pan. It cooks evenly and without any work from you. Meanwhile, you can prepare your other ingredients while it cooks. Just check on it after 15 minutes and flip it with tongs. Ovens can have hot spots, so some strips may be done a few minutes before the rest. Have a paper towel ready on a plate and remove pieces as they are done. In addition, the rendered bacon fat on the sheet pan can even be strained into a jar and kept in the fridge. I use it to fry eggs!
BLT’s are a summer favorite in our house! We have them with grocery store tomatoes in the winter too, often a soup and sandwich night. The simple Bacon-Lettuce-Tomato combination never felt like enough to me. Load them up with Avocado and Cheese and see if you don’t start calling them BLTAC’s!
More Favorite Sandwiches!
- Garden BLT’s with Pesto Aioli
- Italian Subs with Giardiniera
- Easy French Dip Sandwiches
- Chicken Salad
- Curry Chicken Salad
- Skillet Burgers
BLT's plus Cheese and Avocado
- tomato sliced
- cheese, sliced (any kind such as Cheddar, Swiss, Provolone, or Muenster)
- avocado sliced
- mayo (optional)
- bread, sliced and toasted
- Preheat oven to 400° convection bake, cook bacon on a large sheet pan until crisp, about 20 minutes but check it often and flip bacon if needed, drain on paper towel. Extra bacon can be chopped and frozen and used in omelets, breakfast tacos, loaded baked potatoes, or pasta dishes with veggies and cream.
- Assemble the sandwiches on toasted bread, with mayo, lettuce, tomato, bacon, sliced avocado, optional cucumbers, and any cheese you like!