My new little boy is 8 weeks old already and thinking back over the last year, many of the pregnancy sacrifices include food…no runny egg yolks, no fancy cheeses, no beer of course, and no rare steak!! For me that means no steak at all, not a fan of the well done variety, so these sandwiches are well overdue (as was the baby:)
Recipe: Steak Sandwich
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced in half moons
- 4 T balsamic vinegar
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 8oz steak, filet/tenderloin
- 4 T goat cheese
- 1 tomato sliced
- 4 slices good rustic bread, drizzled with olive oil
- In a saute pan, add the olive oil, onions, vinegar, salt and pepper. Let the onion caramelize on low heat for an hour or so (see note at bottom), stirring occasionally, add a splash of water if they get too dry.
- When the onions have melted down and are totally soft and caramelized, preheat the grill, season the steak with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, and grill to medium rare, or however you like it. Let it rest for 5 minutes and thinly slice.
- Grill the bread.
- Spread the bread with goat cheese, top with the onions, steak, tomato and arugula.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2
NOTE: The onions are the most important part here but they are easy. Just throw them in the pan an hour before dinner, have a beer, stir them when you remember, keep them on low and you won’t burn them. If they look dry add a splash of water. In the end they should melt into a dark colored “goo.” I would go for the best quality steak since one steak is stretching for 2 people, but a sirloin or really anything will work. Hope you like them!