Freezer Pesto can be made out of any greens, especially if you sense those greens in your fridge are about to turn bad. Preserve them by making a batch of freezer pesto! Use those tiny green jars for easy meal ideas like pasta or sandwich night!
Tips from my Kitchen
In my kitchen I like to make most things from scratch, and I don’t like to waste anything! I bought one of those large boxes of arugula two days ago. So, it makes me mad that already I got a hint of that past its prime lettuce smell. If this happens with arugula or spinach I try to save it. Those boxes are not cheap! Pick out any obviously bad pieces and put the rest in a colander and rinse it really well with cold water. If you still smell the smell, throw it out, it’s too late.
If you don’t, make yourself a batch of pesto! Variations of Freezer Pesto can be made from lots of types of greens like basil, arugula, spinach, kale, Swiss chard, or any combination. Store it in little jars in your freezer, perfect for easy weeknight meals! What was left of my box made 8 small jars! Thaw a jar to toss with pasta and cream, or use at as a spread for BLT’s. It can liven up a sandwich like turkey or grilled chicken with melty cheese on ciabatta. Try it as a sauce for homemade pizza night or mini flatbread pizzas for lunch. You’ve got 8 easy meal starters in your back pocket! AND, you made it from scratch, you didn’t waste your greens (arugula or money!) and it only took 15 minutes with your food processor.
More Recipes to Stock your Freezer!
- Healthy Zucchini Cookies
- Everyday Smoothies
- Mom’s Homemade Spaghetti
- Chicken Apple Potstickers
- Morning Glory Freezer Muffins
- 3-4 c arugula or spinach, as much as you have, that will fit in a food processor (any combination of greens will work - basil, Swiss chard, kale, spinach or arugula washed)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ c pine nuts, toasted (almonds, walnuts or sunflower seeds can be substituted)
- 1 juice of a lemon
- 1 t kosher salt
- 8 grinds fresh black pepper
- ⅓ c Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ⅓ c olive oil
- ⅓ c water (as needed to reach desired consistency)
- Wash greens well, process all ingredients except olive oil and water in a food processor until well combined, drizzle in oil and water through the feed tube with processor running until you reach desired consistency.
- Freeze pesto in small jars.