This 5 minute Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing takes any salad to the next level! A quick blend in a food processor or blender incorporates the fresh basil and garlic into a perfectly smooth emulsified dressing with extra bold flavor! The smell alone is simply divine, it might just become your new favorite salad dressing!
Simple vinaigrettes can be made at home in just a few minutes, so you can stop filling your fridge door with store-bought dressings! This basil balsamic vinaigrette is wonderful in the summer when gardens are bursting with basil. But, a little store-bought packet of fresh basil can really brighten up an average salad in the winter too!
I always have a Jar of Easy Homemade Vinaigrette in the fridge. You know exactly what's in it, no preservatives or ingredients you can't pronounce. With fresh basil and a touch of sweet honey, this Balsamic Vinaigrette is my absolute favorite! Try this dressing on these amazing salads!
Simple ingredients bring on incredible flavor here! This honey basil balsamic vinaigrette is extremely versatile with elements of both savory and sweet.
- Garlic - Use fresh garlic, it makes all the difference! Since this is a blended dressing, you don't even have to chop it and it really gets fully incorporated.
- Fresh Basil - The star of the show! The blender packs that intense basil flavor into every drop, super aromatic with a beautiful tint of green color. This dressing could still be made using dried basil or Italian seasoning, yet will be quite different and not quite as special!
- Salt & Pepper - Simple seasonings bring out the flavors in the dressing, and in turn season and flavor the ingredients in your salad.
- Dijon Mustard - While adding a sharp flavor to balance the sweet, dijon mustard also acts as a natural emulsifier. It helps hold oil and vinegar together when they naturally want to separate.
- Honey - This honey basil balsamic vinaigrette is completely balanced with the slightly tangy but sweet vinegar and the sweet basil getting hit with a touch of honey to meet all that bold garlic flavor. To make this dressing vegan, you could sub maple syrup.
- Balsamic Vinegar - A staple salad dressing, balsamic vinegar's extra rich flavor goes well with many salads.
- Olive Oil - Bringing it all together, use good olive oil, and never substitute vegetable or canola oil.
See recipe card for quantities.
This dressing involves no chopping and is ready in under 5 minutes! Just add your ingredients (except the olive oil) to a food processor or blender. Remove the thicker stems from the basil.
Process about 1 minute as you drizzle the olive oil in through the feed tube. Blend until smooth, stopping a few times to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
OR, You can also alternatively add all the ingredients to a wide mouth jar and use a stick immersion blender to puree. Really any type of blending machine will work!
Store this basil balsamic dressing in a glass jar or container in the fridge for a week or more. It's enough dressing for at least 4 to 6 salads, depending on the size. The fresh basil makes it last not quite as long as other vinaigrettes, but the bright flavor is so worth it!
The oil will solidify in the fridge, so let it come to room temperature on the counter about 15 minutes before you use it. It will separate a little, so shake well before drizzling over your salad!
Salads to Make with Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette
This vinaigrette is so versatile and can be enjoyed with lots of different salads!
- Classic Greens and Veggie Salads - The basil adds bright fresh flavor to basic Italian salads with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion slices, croutons and kalamata olives. Try it on:
- Fruit and Nut Salads - The hint of sweetness in this dressing makes it perfect for salads with fruits, nuts and cheeses. These are great for holiday dinner sides or special brunches served with a quiche. Try it as an alternative dressing for:
- Summer Salads and Appetizers - Basil from the garden makes the perfect dressing for summer Caprese Salads and appetizers like:
- Sandwich Condiment - This would be delicious as a substitute dressing on these Italian Subs with Giardiniera on Ciabatta. A small drizzle would really jazz up a turkey sandwich too!
Blending this dressing is the key to making it super smooth and emulsified! It only takes a few minutes and really brings out the smell of that bright fresh basil. Any blender, food processor or hand held stick blender with the ingredients in a jar will work!
Yes, as a super basic balsamic vinaigrette, you could use dried basil or Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Just shake everything together in a jar. You will end up with quite a different finished product. However, the fresh garlic and basil are really what give this dressing its wow factor!
I definitely recommend it! Blending the dressing allows it to really emulsify into a smooth consistency. Most importantly, it incorporates the basil and garlic flavor so much better than if you were to just chopped them by hand. That being said, yes, you could skip the blending and just chop it and shake the ingredients in a jar. It will work, but won't be quite as amazing!
Add a Fresh Salad to these Favorite Dinners!
Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh basil (about ½ cup)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 grinds fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a food processor except the olive oil.
- With the food processor running, drizzle in the olive oil through the feed tube, process until smooth, about 1 or 2 minutes. Stop a few times to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Drizzle over your favorite salad!
- Recipe will make enough for 4 to 6 salads depending on the size.
- Store extra dressing in a jar in the fridge for a week or more. After being refrigerated, let it sit on the counter for 15 minutes and shake well before using.