Salmon Bagels are our favorite way to use up leftover salmon, and are a delicious weeknight meal! This quick and easy dinner comes together in 20 minutes, just toast your bagels and load on the toppings…cream cheese, avocado, tomato, onion, cucumber, egg, capers, and lemon wedges!
Pandemic Baking & Leftover Salmon
The stay-at-home order has really shaken up our lives. I guess we’ve decided that the 2 day process of making homemade bagels from scratch is, in fact, easier than the 2 day process of another grocery pickup order. Whenever we have leftover salmon, I like to stretch it into another dinner, and salmon bagels are my favorite way. Roasting fresh salmon (400° convection bake about 10 to 15 minutes) or using smoked salmon both work great too. My 6 year old not only helped make the bagels, but surprisingly loved the dinner too. The 4 year old, not so much.
When you already have leftover salmon, Salmon Bagels really couldn’t be an easier dinner! The only real cooking required is hard boiling the eggs.
- For Perfectly Hard Boiled Eggs: Place eggs in a pot covering them with cold water by about an inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Right when they reach a boil, turn off the heat and cover. Let them sit in the hot water for 15 minutes, set a timer. Run under cold water, crack and peel.
The colorful ingredients really make a beautiful platter! Toast your bagels, spread with cream cheese, and pile on the toppings. Start with breaking up the salmon and add sliced tomato, red onion, avocado, cucumber, capers, and hard boiled eggs. Kalamata olives would work too. You can also add some lettuce or spinach to your platter for a little extra color and nutrition. Lemon wedges are the perfect garnish and the last layer of flavor!
More Favorite Weeknight Dinners!
- Creamy Tomato Basil Fettuccine
- Italian Subs with Giardiniera
- Easy French Dip Sandwiches
- Loaded Baked Potatoes
- Gnocchi with Italian Sausage
- Chopped Dinner Salad
- Bacon Kale Spaghetti
- Skillet Burgers
- cream cheese
- leftover cooked salmon
- tomato sliced
- red onion sliced
- capers (or kalamata olives)
- lettuce chopped
- cucumbers sliced
- hard boiled eggs
- avocado sliced
- lemon wedges
- Slice bagels, toast if you want, spread with cream cheese and top with leftover salmon, tomato, onion, and capers.
- Garnish platter with chopped lettuce, cucumber, avocado, hard boiled eggs and lemon wedges.
- For perfectly cooked eggs: Place eggs in a pot covering them with cold water by about an inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Right when they reach a boil, turn off the heat and cover. Let them sit in the hot water for 15 minutes, set a timer. Run under cold water, crack and peel – a great activity for little kitchen helpers!