Peanut Butter Protein Rice Krispies Treats are a delicious twist on a classic treat! Soft and chewy with gooey marshmallows, and packed with extra protein from the peanut butter, oats, sunflower and flax seeds. My kids devour these, and I love the little bit of extra substance, call them dessert OR a snack!
I love taking a dessert that everybody loves and changing it up with some healthier additions! These Protein Rice Crispy Treats were easy to alter, just a few high protein additions that go completely unnoticed with that delicious peanut buttery flavor.
My kids are always starving it seems, so why not add healthy extras where you can? Together with a few friends, they absolutely devoured a pan of these!
If you Love healthier versions of your favorite desserts, give these a try!
- Black Bean Protein Brownies
- Zucchini Banana Cookies
- Peanut Butter Nutella Protein Balls
- Healthier Berry Rhubarb Crisp
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Rice Krispies Cereal - That familiar snap crackle pop, these Protein Rice Krispies Treats start with the basics and then add some hearty extras!
- Regular Rolled Oats - Oats add a bit of protein but are hardly noticeable in the finished bars. You can also use quick oats, or leave them out if you don't have them, just substitute more cereal.
- Sunflower & Flax Seeds - These little additions of protein are all optional and interchangeable. You can use just sunflower seeds and no flax seeds, or try chia seeds or even sliced almonds. If you don't want to use seeds at all, you can simply add the equivalent of more Rice Krispies.
- Marshmallows - Marshmallows give you that classic chewy consistency and we haven't tried to go healthy here a bit! You can also use the mini marshmallows, just measure 3 cups.
- Peanut Butter - The star of the show! That peanut buttery goodness gives these Rice Krispie Protein Bars their delicious flavor! For kids who are always hungry, a treat like this acts like an extra filling snack! You could also substitute really any nut butter, or even use sunflower seed butter if you want to keep it allergy friendly. Peanut butter is our favorite, taste-wise, and we love the natural peanut butter that is made from just peanuts and salt. Some peanut butters add oils and sugar so read the ingredient label!
- Honey - A tiny bit of honey here adds a bit more sweetness and ties together the peanut butter and marshmallow. You could substitute maple syrup or white or brown sugar if you don't have honey.
- Butter - Butter helps everything melt together and keeps your treats from sticking to the pan. You could also substitute coconut oil if you want these to be dairy free Rice Krispies Treats.
- Optional Toppings - We love these Rice Krispies Treats with M&M's and white chocolate chips, but you can also add any type of chocolate chips or chopped candy bars, Reeces Pieces, sprinkles, or just leave them plain.
See recipe card for quantities.
Start by adding your dry ingredients, the cereal, oats and seeds to a large bowl. Add your marshmallow, peanut butter, honey and butter to a sauce pan with a lid.
Melt your marshmallow mixture over medium low heat, COVERED, for about 10 minutes without opening the lid or stirring.
Remove from the heat and stir. Work quickly, you want everything to mix while it's hot!
Keep stirring until everything is incorporated, a few marshmallow chunks is ok!
Pour into your dry ingredients.
Mix until well combined.
Press the mixture into a 9x9 pan with your spatula or your hands. Add toppings and press them into the top, optional but delicious! Allow to set for 30 minutes before slicing!
Storage - These high protein Rice Crispy Treats will keep on the counter for up to 6 days if tightly covered or the squares transferred to an airtight container. They are perfect to make ahead for a weekend at the cabin, a pool party or any occasion!
Freezer - Peanut Butter Rice Krispies can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Make sure to cool completely first.
Rice Krispies Treats with M&M's make them perfect to adapt to any holiday!
- Christmas - Add red and green M&M's along with white chocolate chips.
- Halloween - Try orange, yellow and brown M&M's with a drizzle of melted chocolate. You can also chop up some of those Halloween candy bars to press into the top!
- Valentine's Day - Go for the red, pink and white M&M's or even top them with candy hearts and sprinkles.
- Fourth of July - Red, white and blue M&M's or some white chocolate chips make a festive, easy dessert!
You can cut these bars into 9 squares or cut those squares into 18 triangles for smaller portions. You can also double the recipe to feed more people!
Yes! Regular Rice Krispies cereal are not guaranteed to be gluten free, but they do make a gluten free version of the cereal. There are also other gluten free brands of similar rice cereal. Most brands of marshmallows are gluten free so just check the label. All other ingredients in this recipe are gluten free!
Yes! If you really want to switch things up, these Rice Krispie peanut butter squares can be made by substituting Cheerios, Chex, Reeses Puffs, Kix, Cocoa Puffs, Cocoa Krispies, or even combinations! Really any cereal out there will work, but since peanut butter is your main flavor, avoid colored fruit flavored cereals like Fruity Pebbles.
More Kid-Favorite Recipes!
Love this Recipe?
Subscribe Here to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
Peanut Butter Protein Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup regular rolled oats
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 Tablespoon flax seeds
- 3 cups marshmallow about 25 large marshmallows
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Add cereal, oats, and seeds to a large bowl and mix.
- Add marshmallows, peanut butter, honey and butter to a sauce pan, COVER, and melt over medium low heat for about 10 minutes. Don't open the lid or stir, the cover helps steam and melt the marshmallows.
- Mix heated ingredients together with a spatula or whisk until they are well combined. A few chunks of marshmallow is ok if it doesn't totally incorporate.
- Pour warm ingredients into dry ingredients and mix immediately with a spatula until well combined. Work quickly, it's easier to mix when it's hot! Transfer to a 9x9 pan and press into the pan with the spatula or your hands.
- Optional, top with mini M&M's and white chocolate chips. Press them in lightly so they stick. Allow to set for 30 minutes, cut into 9 squares (cut each square diagonally into 2 triangles if you want 18 smaller portions) and enjoy!