Luckily we got to go distance strawberry picking this summer! So we have plenty of berries and this is by far my favorite way to eat them. This recipe came from my wonderful mother, she didn’t create it, but she did save a newspaper clipping, carefully filed in her dessert file with her handwritten note “very good–1994.” It’s as delicious as it was 26 years ago. My kids helped me every step of the way, which usually is the case when dessert is involved. To me, whipping fresh cream is the most fun part, and so good it’s totally worth it!
This is just the half recipe, so it makes 7 biscuits and fed our family of 4, mom, dad and two little kids. Double it if you want.
This summer may be not be everything we’d hoped for, but homemade strawberry shortcake is a huge win!
Strawberry Short Cake
- 1 c flour
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 T sugar
- 1/4 c cold butter (half stick)
- 1/2 egg (crack it in a bowl, whisk and use about half)
- 2 1/2 T heavy cream (use the remainder of a half pint container to make the whipped cream)
- 1/4 t vanilla extract
- 2 t powdered sugar
- fresh strawberries sliced (sprinkled with sugar, optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk
- Cut the butter into bits and add to dry mixture, us a pastry blender or a fork or your fingertips to work it into the flour mixture until it looks like fresh bread crumbs.
- Add the egg and 2 1/2 T cream and stir with a fork until the dough holds together.
- Turn the dough out a cutting board and knead together with your hands 10 or 12 times.
- Pat into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick, make rounds using a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter.
- Bake on a cake pan or baking sheet for 15 minutes, until very lightly browned. Cool.
- Meanwhile, using the remainder of a half pint of cream (so just under a cup), place in a bowl with the vanilla and powdered sugar and whisk with a wire whisk. Take turns if you have little helpers until you have whipped cream.
- Slice the strawberries and reserve in the fridge.
- To assemble, slice the shortcakes open like sandwiches, fill with whipped cream and strawberries, more on top.