Roasted Veggie Flatbread Pizza is the perfect easy weeknight winter meal when tomato and basil are out of season! Loaded with roasted veggies like winter squash, onion, carrot, zucchini, and bell pepper, these pizzas are interchangeable to add the ingredients you love! Topped with the easiest “sauce” of just a dribble of cream and melty cheese, it’s a new and different twist to pizza night!
Friday Night Pizza Night
Friday night is pizza night in our house. And when the tomato basil pizzas of summer are long gone, roasted veggie flatbreads are a fun variation. I’m roasting a ton of winter veggies, for a hearty cold weather flatbread pizza dinner. The recipe doesn’t include exact amounts, I usually make at least 4 flatbreads for our family of 4, and just started adding toppings, but adjust up or down to feed your family. I always keep a few bags of flatbread in your freezer so I can keep making them until everyone is full! It’s a handy freezer staple for easy pizza anytime!
You’ll love this recipe, because the veggie toppings can really be anything you have! For this pizza night I used onion, bell pepper, zucchini, potato, fennel, carrot, and delicata squash. Delicata is a hard winter squash similar but smaller than butternut and acorn, but those would work great too! You can make roasted veggie flatbread pizza with different veggies every time! Try any combination of cauliflower, mushrooms, or broccoli. Extras like spinach, kale, olives, and any fresh herbs can be added to the pizza, but don’t need to be pre-roasted. Rosemary happens to be the only herb I’ve managed to grown in a pot all winter, but thyme, parsley or sage would be good too. Add red pepper flakes if you like a kick! I often serve pizza night with a simple side salad and easy balsamic vinaigrette.
Roast your veggies on a large sheet pan at 400°. Keep in mind that some veggies will take longer than others, like a winter squash, so take them out as they become done. Load your roasted veggies onto the flatbreads and add any white melty cheese. Any combination of Provolone, mozzarella, Muenster, white cheddar, or Parmesan will do. A few tablespoons of heavy cream dribbled over the top makes the simplest “sauce.” I used rotisserie chicken, but leftover chicken or bacon would work great too, or just left vegetarian.
Other Family Favorite Dinners
Roasted Veggie Flatbread Pizza
- any roasted veggies, chopped or sliced Such as delicata squash (cut lengthwise and seed cavity removed), onion, fennel, bell pepper, potato, carrot, cauliflower, mushroom, or zucchini
- flatbread thawed or frozen is fine
- 2 T heavy cream per flatbread
- cooked chicken, shredded rotissere or leftover works great
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic minced
- spinach or fresh herbs minced (optional, rosemary, thyme, oregano or sage)
- cheese, shredded (any white cheeses will work, Muenster, Provolone, white cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 400° convection bake.
- Wash and chop veggies and spread on a sheet pan, toss with olive oil, ½t kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (rub winter squash with butter) and roast until softened and lightly brown. Some veggies may take longer than others so group in separate piles on the pan so you can remove them as they are done, check after 20 minutes, could take between 20-45 minutes.
- When veggies are roasted, assemble the flatbreads - drizzle 1 T heavy cream on each flatbread, (cream cheese works too) as the "sauce", add roasted vegetables, shredded chicken, minced garlic, fresh herbs, and shredded cheese. Finish with 1 T heavy cream over the top.
- Cook flatbreads on a sheet pan in the oven at 400°, until cheese is melted and flatbreads are crisp, about 15 minutes.