Roasted Carrot Hummus
Roasted Carrot Hummus is a fun twist on everybody's favorite dip! Beautiful bright orange and delicious unique flavor, it's the perfect healthy snack! Packed with all your usual hummus ingredients like chickpeas, garlic, and sesame, plus that savory sweet combo with honey, apricots and natural sweetness from the roasted carrots. Replace your store-bought dip with this easy, homemade, high-protein hummus!
- 4-5 carrots chopped in large chunks
- ½ small onion cut in a couple large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic left whole with skin on
- olive oil, salt and pepper
- 5 dried apricots
- 1 juice of a lime squeeze, or I cut the peel off and use the whole thing
- 15 oz can Chickpeas (Garbanzo or any White Beans)
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 grinds fresh pepper
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil or more as needed
Preheat oven to 400°. Roast carrots, onion, and whole garlic cloves with skin on, tossed with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper for about 30 minutes or until they are starting to brown and caramelize.
Let roasted veggies cool slighlty and discard the garlic skins. In a food processor, add all ingredients and process. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula and continue to process until smooth.
- You Don't Need to Peel Carrots - I never peel carrots! Just wash them really well under running water, scrub them a bit with your hands. The outside "peel" is healthy, edible, and there's no reason to waste it!
- How to Garnish Carrot Hummus - Although it's not an ingredient, a sprinkle of bright red paprika and a drizzle of olive oil makes this hummus look gorgeous! Add a sprinkle of fresh chopped herbs such as parsley, chives, or cilantro.