Mediterranean Orzo Salad
Mediterranean Orzo Salad is the perfect side dish to your summer cook out, or a great meal prep for healthy lunches. Served warm or cold and loaded with tomato, kalamata olives, artichokes, chickpeas, feta cheese and lots of greens! Healthy fresh and colorful, it's sure to become your go to side dish year round!
- ¼ c toasted pine nuts
- 1½ c orzo pasta
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 c grape tomato left whole or sliced in half
- ½ c kalamata olives
- ½ c artichokes quartered (canned or jar)
- ½ bell pepper, sliced (or a few slices of red onion, or both)
- ½ c feta cheese
- ¼ c fresh chopped herbs such as basil, scallions, parsley, or chives
- 1 handful arugula or spinach
- 2 T fresh lemon juice (half a lemon squeezed) plus lemon wedges to garnish
- 3 T olive oil
- ½ t kosher salt
- 8 grinds fresh ground pepper
In the pot you plain to boil the orzo, first toast the dry pine nuts over medium heat while watching and stirring a few minutes until golden brown. Reserve in a small bowl, then use the same pot to set water to boil for orzo. Cook orzo in boiling salted water, about 7 minutes.
In a large bowl, add all other ingredients, including orzo when it's cooked and drained. Orzo can be run under cold water OR left hot. Salad can be served warm or cold.
Toss salad with the dressing and mix well. Garnish with toasted pine nuts and lemon wedges.