Split Pea Soup with Ham
Split Pea Soup with Ham is a classic comfort food and one of the easiest soups to make! It's only 9 ingredients, loaded with veggies and only takes 15 minutes to prep. It's super creamy but is dairy free, hearty, healthy and so delicious!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 2 ribs celery chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 t kosher salt
- 8 grinds fresh black pepper
- 1 c ham (deli ham, ham steak, holiday ham, ham bone or omit for vegetarian) chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ t Italian seasoning
- 2 c dried split peas
- 4 c chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 c water
- ¼ c fresh parsley chopped
In a large soup pot over medium heat, heat olive oil and add onion, celery and carrot. Season with salt and pepper.
Add ham and saute the mixture about 10 minutes until beginning to soften and brown, stirring often.
Add garlic and Italian seasoning.
Add split peas, stock, water and parsley. Stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, then cover and lower heat to medium low. Simmer about 90 minutes, removing the cover after 60 minutes to allow the soup to reduce and thicken. Stir occasionally. Adjust temperature as needed, can bubble lightly but don't boil.
After 90 minutes, taste for salt and pepper and to make sure the split peas are fully cooked. If they aren't soft enough, simmer a bit longer. Serve with crackers or crusty bread.