I’ll start by saying my husband was not crazy about this one, he is my ultimate taste tester and you’ve got to appreciate his honesty:) Too many flavors going on he said. I could see that, but I liked it so here it is anyway. He wasn’t a fan of the feta cheese, that’s my Wisconsin roots, so I suggest it be “optional.” I ended up eating it for lunch all week, very hearty and filling and to me, it was yummy.
Recipe: Roasted Squash with Wild Rice Salad
- 1 butternut squash, seeded, quartered, buttered, salt and peppered
- 1 c wild rice, rinsed
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T parsley, chopped
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 T olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 1/4 c golden raisins
- feta cheese crumbles for garnish (optional)
- Roast squash at 375 for about an hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook rice and prepare all other ingredients.
- Add rice to 4 cups of boiling water, reduce the heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic to the pot of rice and continue cooking another 30 minutes or until rice is done, drain any excess water.
- In a large bowl, whisk parsley, lemon juice and oil to make a simple vinaigrette, add rice mixture and all other ingredients, combine well. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve over roasted squash and top with feta cheese
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Microformatting by hRecipe.