Cabbage Pear Salad is delicious, made incredible with honey toasted walnuts! That combination of savory and sweet, try it as a side dish or add a protein for a main course!
A Bit of Sweet & Savory
Cabbage Pear Salad is made extra special by giving the walnuts a little extra attention! Toasted to bring out their nutty oils and then tossed with honey, salt and pepper, they are that perfect combination of salty and sweet! We’re having this with the beef roast that is braising away in my oven. I wanted to lighten up the side dishes and replace the buttery mashed potatoes with a big salad. This salad did just that, a delicious side dish but could also be a stand alone meal, just add chicken or another protein. Super healthy too! Tons of hearty greens (I read that Chinese Cabbage is one of the most nutrient rich greens, even more than kale and spinach….not sure if it’s true but can’t hurt), fruit, nuts and a simple light dressing.
The honey walnuts (you could also use pecans or almonds) can be made ahead and are delicious just eaten alone as a snack. Careful, you probably can’t eat just one!
More Favorite Salad Recipes!
- Chopped Dinner Salad with Roasted Potatoes
- Easy Vinaigrette in a Jar
- Spring Asparagus Salad with Goat Cheese
- White Bean Salad with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Arugula
- Easy Egg Salad
- Curry Chicken Salad
Cabbage Pear Salad with Honey Toasted Walnuts
- ½ c walnuts
- 2 T honey
- ¼ t kosher salt
- 4 grinds fresh black pepper
- a few handfuls of any salad greens, spinach, or spring mix
- ¼ to ½ head cabbage sliced
- ¼ c golden raisins
- ½ pear (or apple) sliced last to keep from browning
- crumbled blue cheese (or feta)
- any vinaigrette dressing or olive oil and lemon juice to dress
- Toast walnuts in a dry pan over medium high heat about 5 minutes or until warmed but not burnt. In the hot pan, toss with honey, salt and pepper. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine all other ingredients in a bowl, finishing with the warm walnuts and a homemade or store bought red wine or other vinaigrette and toss. Add chicken or other protein to make it a meal on its own!